Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Three Times A Charm with Penelope Anne Cole

Kai Strand:  Strands of Thought:  kaistrand.blogspot.com


Three Times a Charm is a weekly feature that spotlights authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the children’s publishing industry.
This week we are visiting with author, Penelope Anne Cole. Penelope, can you share a little about yourself? 
I'm Penelope Anne Cole, author of "Magical Matthew."  I’ve had various positions in government service Human Resources (HR) and in teaching both adults and children.  Now I write and review children's books.  I love reading to children to encourage them to read on their own and love literature.  I live in Silicon Valley with my family and our rescued cats and dogs.  I enjoy dog walking, reading, gardening, church activities, singing in choir, and watching select TV shows: drama, comedy, romance, crime solving, and happy-ending movies.  I have a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and a Masters in Education.
Impressive credentials! And thank you for the support you show other authors and illustrators with your reviews.
Tell us about Magical Matthew.
Magical Matthew is my first published book.  It was inspired by my friend's son, Matthew, when he attained "double digits.”  That milestone marks the magical transition that children make from being an elementary "kid," to a middle school "tween."  They lose their childhood “innocence” but gain a growing maturity.  From there the idea developed about a boy with magical powers to fix things with his mind.
Now for the threes. Share your top three to the following to help us know you better.
  • Top 3 books you’ve read in the past year.
Since the J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series ended, I’ve been looking for another series -- stories I can’t put down.  Last month I finished Michael Scott’s six book series, The Alchemyst, which begins with The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel.  Scott blends myth and fantasy with historical characters.  It’s a very satisfying series.  That’s ended, so I found another series.  I’m reading N.D. Wilson’s The Dragon’s Tooth:  Ashtown Burials.  It’s another engrossing fantasy series.
  • Top 3 leisure activities.
            My three favorite leisure activities are (1) reading fantasy and myth stories, (2) watching well-written “Who Done it” crime-solving TV shows, and (3) spending time with my family.
  • Top 3 professions you wanted to be when you grew up.
            I wanted to be a writer, a critic, and a teacher.  I’ve been fortunate to engage in all three of these professions.
Penelope, where can our tech-savvy readers go to keep up with you and your work?
Thanks for joining us on this week’s Strands of Thought, Penelope. Best of luck with your writing!
THANKS!
I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. Especially lately since I’ve been really busy and haven’t been able to recruit guests! GUESTS WANTED! If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing concept for a book for kids at such a tender age and what an amazing author, reviewer and teacher Penelope is! Best of luck Magical Matthew!
    Reply
  2. Fun interview, Kai. Penny is a lovely lady and a growing writing talent.

    Margot's FREE 13x BOOK CATALOG:
    http://tinyurl.com/d8ppylg
    Reply

No comments:

Post a Comment